Before there’s ton of beauty products, women made their own remedy for keeping their skin in tip top condition.
Here is a lists of the beauty remedies.
1. Rose Balm- For hands, feet, elbows, and general dry skin
- 1/2 pound hogs lard (can be purchased in grocery stores labeled “lard”)
- 1/4 pound or less of white wax (candle stubs or canning wax work well)
- Rose water*
- Alkanet root or cochineal pigment (if desired)
2. Four Thieves Vinegar- Cleaning and freshening of rooms
- Medium bottle apple cider vinegar
- Dried or fresh:
- Glass container with cork
3. Cleaning of the skin
- White wine
- Rosemary (fresh or dried)
4. Scented powder for body or hair
- Glass jar with cork
- Dried lavender flowers
- Starch (corn starch is used late in the 18th century, wheat starch is more common during the period. If you can find dried, powdered laundry starch, this is perfect!)
**For more details and how-to, please click here.
Personally, I won’t do it myself but perhaps you can give it try or you already knew it, share with me how it turns out. ^_^